DATA PROTECTION AND PRIVACY
Today, under EU law, EU citizens enjoy a series of rights that are relevant to the digital environment, such as freedom of expression and information, protection of personal data and privacy, confidentiality of communications.
Cable Europe has worked together with ETNO, ECTA and GSMA in issues important for the telecommunications sector in the context of the negotiations of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) which entered into force on 25 May 2018.
We have also been joining efforts, on a few occasions, with other EU associations following the European Commission’s legislative proposal of January 2017 to review the ePrivacy Directive (ePD). Cable Europe’s initial response was to call for the repeal of the directive, and to the extent that any of its rules survived, for their extension to Over-The-Top players (OTTs). Most recently, together with ETNO and GSMA, we have called on the EU Telecom Ministers for more alignment of the future ePrivacy rules with the GDPR.
- Joint GSMA ETNO Cable Europe statement on ePrivacy Regulation 11/10/2019
- Cable Europe, ETNO, and GSMA call on Ministers on the ePrivacy Regulation 30/05/2018
- Position paper on the European Commission proposal for a ePRIVACY REGULATION 19/06/2017
- Cable Europe position paper on the European Commission evaluation and review of the ePrivacy Directive 07/07/2016
- Joint Industry Statement: Empowering trust and innovation by repealing the e-Privacy Directive 05/07/2016
- Joint industry statement on GDPR 16/10/2013
- Cable Europe Position Paper on Data Protection 20/12/2012